While M2M is not new to many key areas of the manufacturing
world (car companies have put in remote diagnostic systems in their
vehicles for a while), it is starting to emerge as a way for
companies to improve their bottom line. For the purposes of
this discussion, M2M can be done wirelessly, using a landline or
Which manufacturers could benefit from an M2M
- Any company that sells a device that is higher cost (usually in
the thousands of dollars per unit) and has a long expected usage
- Examples include: Heavy machinery, large-scale printing
machines, medical equipment and factory equipment and various
- The ROI gets even better if the company offers a service
element to their sales model.
Real-time information = less downtime
- For many devices, they become a vital part of your customer’s
daily business. When the device goes down, it can mean that
their business can come to a halt, hurting their bottom line.
In the case of medical equipment, it can be life-threatening.
- By having increased visibility to your product, you are able to
better predict possible issues, dispatching out your technicians as
a pre-emptive measure.
- Finally, since many issues can be fixed through resets of your
devices, you can lower down your rate of failure by bringing
devices back on line faster.
Improve your product design through accurate usage
- There was a great story that I heard at a recent trade event
where a company building large agriculture equipment was debating
some changes to the fuel tank size on their high-end
machines. Their theory, based on how they thought their
devices were being used, was that a larger tank was required to
prevent farmers from running out of fuel. It turns out that
they were totally off-base....most of their customers rarely went
below 50% fuel capacity, and in fact, they could reduce the size of
the tank (which saved weight/cost) and their customers would not be
- Determining the actual usage patterns can help to provide for
better designs, which reduce possible failure points while allowing
increased sales (first, through products that provide features that
people actually want and by then allowing for better sales
collateral/techniques to position the product in way that will
appeal to the user base better)
Know your flaws earlier through better pattern
- In a perfect world (and perhaps with the information provided
by an M2M solution, we can get there!), there wouldn’t be any
design flaws in a device. We would know exactly how each
device is going to be used, and we can improve the design of
devices to the point where things do not fail prematurely.
- In reality, certain parts do wear out faster than expected, and
this can put undue stress on your repair crews. While an M2M
solution will help you improve your design, real-time data will
allow you to get better group data on a larger swath of devices,
allowing you to see patterns long before it becomes an issue.
- This allows you to be more proactive to your customers,
preventing unwanted downtime and perhaps more costly warranty
M2M can equal extra service revenue as
- For many of your customers, they are willing to pay extra if
you provide a service that allows them to keep your devices running
smoother. It usually pays for itself quickly, and they can
improve their business.
- Combining an M2M solution with your existing programs for
service can help to improve the revenue (i.e. increased monthly
charges) while reducing your service delivery cost (as you can
often eliminate unnecessary trips to your customers location when
you repair issues over the air).
How Novotech can help.....we offer the following
components for your M2M needs:
- All Hardware requirements (whether you build in connectivity
into your device, or use a 3rd party device for connectivity)
- Bundling together of all parts required to connect to your
- Hosting capabilities to view your devices
- Easy integration of the M2M solution into your existing
- On-going management of your devices.
Be sure to drop us a note, to ask how we can help!